Friday, July 12, 2013

4th of July and Martin's Cove



Our 4th of July this year was pretty low key. We had fun in the park, had an Indiana Jones marathon, went out for all american burgers and fries at Bucks, and watched the fireworks from our kitchen window.

Nothing will ever beat 4th of July in Peachtree City with the parade, swimming, bbq, homemade icecream and rootbeer, and firework show (I feel bad that most of it was rained out this year but kinda glad I didn't miss out...I know I'm a terrible person,) but I'm glad we got to have Brian home on a week day. And I'm grateful for our freedom and independence. Yep, I'm proud to be an American! :)





Then last weekend, we decided to get out of Rawlins and go up to Casper, stopping at Martin's Cove on the way. I guess I should have researched the church history site a little more because we definitely did NOT come prepared! (personal fail = I did not wear the right shoes for the occasion, parenting fail = I forgot to bring the moby or the ergo carrier) Even with the setbacks though, we had a tiring, rewarding day.


I love those big, blue eyes! Oliver is such a great baby in the car...most of the time. :)

Arriving at the visitor's center for Martin's Cove with Devil's Gate in the background.

There were deer and other wildlife all along the trail.

Oliver slept most of the way while Brian carried him on the trail.

The visitor's center is NOT right at the cove. To get to the cove requires a 5.3 mile round trip hike on a dirt trail!  Wearing 4 inch wedge sandals = so, so dumb. I couldn't wrap my head around the idea of driving all the way there and not going all the way, so hiked the whole thing with me in these shoes and no baby carrier. I figured if the pioneers could do it the snow without shoes, we could suck it up and do it too. We were slow, and I have blisters on top of blisters, but we made it. I have such a deep appreciation for the pioneer's sacrifice, but man, oh man am I grateful to have been born now and not then! 

Wide open spaces! It's such a different world out here.

So here is the actual cove. We made it all the way around. Going to the site gave me a new appreciation for the saints.  Martin's cove is not close to SLC. I can't even imagine the dispare of getting stuck in the Wyoming cold and most especially the intense wind they have here with little/no supplies and knowing how much further they still had to go (It's at least 6 hours by car.) So grateful for their faith and for the rescuers who came to help them. So many miracles took place here.

Devil's Gate. By the time we got back from Martin's Cove, my feet were DONE! We didn't hike all the way to Devil's Gate, so this picture will have to do.

Half way between Martin's Cove and Casper is Independence Rock. I'm not going to lie, I was  expecting more for some reason. Somewhat underwhelming...
















Casper seemed like paradise after almost a month in Rawlins. There were actually trees, and they have a Walmart! Because Martin's Cove had taken so much longer than we were expecting and because my feet were broken, we almost just went home instead of making it all the way. I'm glad we decided to go anyway. Not only did we get to see a double rainbow that became a full rainbow, but we got to eat some of the best ribs of my entire life at Golden Corral. I know...not where you would expect to find great ribs...but seriously this was maybe the best Golden Corral I've ever been to. They also had a chocolate fountain, great soft serve and regular ice cream, delicious rolls, and great mashed potatoes. Not a bad way to end a crazy, long, adventurous Saturday!



No comments:

Post a Comment