Friday, November 11, 2011

11.11.11

Happy Veteran's Day!

So as I am a history major, here is quick look at the history of what we now know to be Veteran's day.  World War 1 officially ended on November 11, 1918.  A U.S. legal holiday known originally as Armistice Day was created to honor World War 1 veterans.  The holiday was dedicated to the cause of world peace.  
In 1954, Congress amended the holiday to include veterans of all wars and to honor all servicemen and women who sacrifice for our country.  The holiday was changed from Armistice Day to Veteran's Day.  Today on November 11, 2011, we honor all American veterans who have served and/or continue to serve our country and preserve our freedom.

I would like to especially thank my Grandpa Hurst, Papa Jones, my Dad, and my brother-in-law Lee for their service and examples!  Happy Veteran's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment