Wednesday, March 9, 2011

BYU, Basketball, Honor, Integrity

In a sort of continuation of my last post, I would like to start with the conclusion of that fabulous February 23rd Wednesday. After J Dawgs and with a rejuvenated passion and excitement for BYU sports, we were blessed with the opportunity to see the Cougars play court side (thank you Kelsey) at the Marriot Center.

Sitting court side, watching your Alma Mater sport pink Nike's (for Breast Cancer) while kicking Colorado's butt is sort of a beyond this world experience. Did you know that floor seats come with more than just a spectacular view? I didn't. Not only was there a goody bag under my seat, but there were also free concessions, including but not limited too...a chocolate fountain, legit size candy bars, fountain drinks, and cookies. I had died and gone to BYU heaven.











A few weeks later, Brandon Davies was kicked off the team due to an Honor Code violation. In the aftermath that has followed, I can truly say that I am proud to be a BYU Cougar and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Having spent 4 years at BYU, I know that the school and it's students are far from perfect. Still I am grateful for the Honor Code and for a University, really a Church for that matter, that stands by it's values, upholds "impossible" virtues, and believes in repentance and forgiveness.

We all make mistakes, and I can't imagine how hard it would be for me to deal with mine publicly and in the media. I respect Davies for his integrity and courage in manning up and facing the consequences of his actions with dignity and honor. I am proud of all the BYU fans out there that cheered in support for Davies as he sat on the sidelines at the last BYU game. And finally, I have been pleasantly surprised with how the media for the most part has covered Davies, BYU, and the Honor Code.

"honor is better than honors." - flemish proverb


Brandon Davies: Is BYU's Premarital Sex Controversy Good For College Sports? (This article is one of my favorites. I was reading it a school and almost teared up a little.)


1 comment: